Monday, March 19, 2012

Hobbit Fever

I can name every single one of them by memory. Nerd Pride.

I have Hobbit Fever. It's like Beiber Fever except instead of lusting after a barley legal possibly female pop singer icon, I lust after hairy men of Middle-Earth who just want to fight, drink and plunder some treasure. And people think I'M the weird one.

So this fever started some-time last year or earlier when it was announced that Martin Freeman was going to be playing Bilbo Baggins in the new Hobbit film made by Peter Jackson. For anyone who doesn't know who Martin is, and who can't be bothered to simply wiki or imbd him, you will most likely remember him from Love Actually as the naked guy doing stand-ins for a feature film, or as Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker's Guide the the Galaxy. If you don't remember seeing him in either of these things but still know who he is then you obviously watch Sherlock. The point is, I've been a fan of him and his quirky, awkward Britishness for quite a while and hearing that he is going to be/and now is playing the main role in this film was enough to make me squeal in excitement.

After some time of snooping around the forums and gossip columns I managed to find out that not only had production for the Hobbit already started, Peter Jackson was being the most awesome producer in existence by creating vlogs for people like me who are too impatient to wait until the end of this year to see the first of the two films. People who are like me and love watching productions like these come together can watch the magic happening, but you will most likely end up contracting Hobbit Fever. Beware, if you have not read the book (shame on you if you haven't) there may be a few spoilers for you.

Although, even if you haven't read the books there are still some interesting facts that connect to the Lord of the Rings. Even though their characters don't appear in the book, both Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom are said to be in the film. Frodo will be there as a method of connecting to us (the viewers) and to add that feel that this film, though being made so long after the first trilogy, really occurs before the events of The Lord of the Rings. I'm also glad to say that all the characters that occur in both the LOTR and The Hobbit will be reprised by the same actors. Ian McKellan, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, Andy Serkis (who is also co-directing the film) and even the elderly but still marvellous Christopher Lee will all be returning to their characters along with the wonderful assortment of English, Irish and Scottish actors chosen to play the the merry band of thirteen dwarves.

What I am most excited about, however, are the actors playing the new characters in this film. When I first saw the names in the casting list I had a grin on my face wide enough to split my head open. Stephen Fry (Host of the panel show Q.I and well know for his comedy with Hugh Laurie) will be playing the Master of Lake-Town. Billy Connelly will be playing Thorin's cousin and a mighty dwarven leader. Fellow Sherlock actor Benedict Cumberpatch (which I think is the most outrageously amazing name in existence) will be voicing Smaug the Golden and possibly The Necromancer. Former Lost star Evangeline Lilly will be making an elfish appearance along with Flight of The Conchords member Bret McKenzie and former Doctor Who, Sylvester McCoy. My favourite surprising actor to be appearing in this film, simply because I am Australian and have a huge sense of pride whenever Australian actors get remarkable roles (that includes you Mr. Weaving) is Barry Humphries! Going from International Cross-Dressing Icon to the evil Great Goblin just fills me with pride . . . and some other questionable emotions.

I have complete faith that these two films will be even better than The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I am thankful and oh so appreciative that Peter Jackson has been releasing production videos to keep us interested and sated. I am also absolutely 100% certain the apocalypse will not happen this year because God himself would not want to end the world before he got to see these films. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is set to release at the end of 2012 and There and Back Again will follow some time in 2013. Until then, I'm just going to watch the trailers over and over and over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment