Sunday, October 14, 2012

To Stay or Not to Stay

A while ago I wrote a post on the subject of how crappy it is not having a job. Since then I have had 2 jobs, the most recent of which was not the best experience. This makes me wonder what exactly motivates people to stay in their positions when it's not that great of a job.

Obviously this applies more to part-time people who have the option of leaving and usually must work extended hours to make any sort of decent living. But it's also a question for everyone to ask themselves.

Do you work in a career that you love even if it doesn't pay well? 

Personally my answer to that can vary. If I love the work I am doing, and am good at it, getting a high degree of job satisfaction, then I will probably stay. However, if I'm good at my job but my work never seems to receive any sort of recognition or make a difference, I would probably leave. This applies mainly to full-time work; most of the part time work people my age do revolves around supplying food and clothes to angry shoppers. No satisfaction there.

Do you continue to work in a crappy job if the people are good? 

Yes. Super yes. A million times yes. It is so difficult to find co-workers who are as like-minded as you. And when I say that, I am assuming that everyone reading this is like me and likes to get the job done efficiently, no complaints, and without being a giant bag of douche. Most people I work with end up being aforementioned bags of douche. Most, but not all. I would gladly spend my days scrubbing toilets if I get to do it with someone I can chat to about The Walking Dead season 3.

Is it better to be unemployed than to work at a place you are unhappy with?

I spent most of this year thinking "I don't care what it is, I just need to get a job, I'm sick of being unproductive". What I didn't realise is I would prefer feeling unproductive while unemployed than leaving my shift every day feeling like a piece of meat that's just been pounded by Mike Tyson. If you are unhappy, don't do it. If it leads to having to eat nothing but noodles every day until you get a new job, so be it. The stress a bad job will cause you is not something anyone should suffer.

And if you aren't careful, you might just end up having a Wanted moment.

Keyboard to the face *BAM!*


Jobless but happy. And that's the way I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment