Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Walking Derp Game

I bought The Walking Dead game during a Steam sale a while ago and hadn't managed to get around to playing it until I had a sexy new computer to play it on. As of this afternoon, I finally finished the last of the 5 episodes.

I have a serious addiction to zombies.

Which is good considering the amount of zombie genre entertainment available at the moment; and I am not one of those people who thinks it's being over-done. Well, it might be a little bit. But only a little. And not with this game.

I may have cheated a little bit by watching Hannah from the Yogscast play the entire game before I took a swing at it, but this helped me make a lot of decisions in the game. I still killed Larry. He was dick and needed to die via salt block to the head. As with many of these player decision based games, I had a super difficult time choosing between the right thing to do and the best thing to do.

If you haven't played or heard of this game before, it's a zombie-themed quick-time event game based on The Walking Dead with three main tasks:

  1. Don't die (Obviously . . . I mean, come on.)
  2. Keep your group together (i.e. Resist the urge to punch Kenny in the face) and
  3. Make sure the most adorable not-real-but-still-makes-me-all-fuzzy-and-worried girl alive and happy
Oh Clementine I love you so much. I love you as much as any over-imaginative nerd loves fictional characters. I'm sorry I killed that guy with a pitchfork in front of you, but it was fun, and I hope you can understand that I am a psycho who likes killing things. And who can't stop tripping over every god damn rock, stump, and non-existent object in the game.

Seriously, Lee!


And so does everyone else in a horror setting

In all honesty, I really like this type of game. I like being able to customize it to my decisions, make mistakes when I don't know what to do, and make really, really, really bad mistakes when I need a drink of water and the game goes into a quick-time event while I'm drinking. . . I was really thirsty and now Ben is dead.

I find myself wanting to go back and play it again just to see the other options I had. Like what would have happened if I had sided with Larry and Lilly and pissed Kenny off? Or I had started fights with everyone and tried to get into Carly's pants?

Damn straight I would.

I'm really happy that they decided to make a sequel to the game because this format is a new way to tell stories. It's like those old Make Your Own Adventure books where you went to different pages according to the choices you make. Of course you can still cheat by watching someone else play it first like I did or going on to the wiki to see how many times you can beat the s**t out of Kenny.

The Walking Dead game isn't so much a game, it's an interactive story. You don't play it to tap Q multiple times or to enjoy the cartoonish art style, you play it because you want to know what happens to the characters. So not only do I like this game because it is entertaining, I like it because it's another source for story telling. Just not as depressing as Heavy Rain. . .

And speaking of zombies (although I speak about them quite a bit and this segued isn't really necessary) I'm super excited for Warm Bodies. It's a comedy film about zombies starring Nicholas Hoult from About A Boy, Skins and X-Men: First Class as the title zombie character R, and Rob Corddry from Hot Tub Time Machine, Blades of Glory and Children's Hospital as M, another zombie. I've read the novel by Isaac Marion and it is awesomely entertaining. It's interesting to read a Zombie Apocalypse book that isn't completely depressing OR outrageously gruesome. I do recommend anyone to read the book and/or watch the film.

It'll feed that zombie addiction.


1 comment:

  1. Just Drive-By blogging today, and my wheels stopped here. Great site!

    Jeremy [Retro]
    Visit The Madness:
    Oh No, Let's Go... Crazy

    ReplyDelete