Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nostalgia


It's coming into spring here in Australia and I can already feel the change. As cheesy as it sounds, I love walking down the street on my way to work and feeling a small breeze filled with the scent of newly blooming flowers. It fills me with nostalgia.

Strangely, this makes me think of all the things I miss, as well as all the things I love. Everything I believe in, the little things and the big things, past memories and future hopes; everything comes pouring out. As soon as that breeze washes over me, I feel something that I can't explain. It might be the strangeness in me, but it might just be one of those unexplainable things in life you don't mind not knowing.

It's because of this new spring nostalgia that I want to share a list of some of the things that I think make me who I am. It's not just how I was raised, or what I was taught, but the things that came to me purely through experience and my own self being. Excuse me for being whimsical, but I know that there are some things, however small or strange, that can just be pure and simple euphoria.



I love...

Going outside after heavy rain
The smell of new fabric removed from plastic
The sun touching my skin on a cold morning
The smell of freshly ground coffee
Seeing a child smile shyly from behind their parents legs
Watching nature persevere
Staring into bottomless green eyes
Watching a candle slowly burn out
Being the only one in a crowd who isn't rushing
The smell of books
The feel of warm hands on soft skin
The companionship a pet can bring
Fuzzy blankets that feel like being covered in kittens
 Laughing so much you can't breathe
Freshly painted walls
Lazy days of doing nothing
Accomplishing something I am passionate about
Getting something unexpected

I believe...

Humanity is a disease who chooses not to cure itself
          Imagination is what makes us special
                      War will never stop and we won't want it to
                                  Reading can help open a closed mind
                                           Video games never hurt anyone
                                                         Being smart doesn't make you better
                                                                     Nobody should be able to lead unless they can take criticism



I hope...

More notice will be given to science
              Celebrity status will be given to people more worthy
                             People will eventually see each other only as other people
                                            I will be appreciated for being myself
                                                             Our planet will survive our destructive phase
                                                                          Life will be discovered somewhere in the universe
                                                                                             We survive until the end


I'm going to add more over time, but the important thing is we realise the things that make us, us. We are unique and we are the same. We share so many things yet understand so little of them. So...

What makes you, you?


No comments:

Post a Comment