Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Odds Are

I would like to thank the ever entertaining Philip DeFranco for enlightening me of the existance of the Barenaked Ladies new song: Odds Are.


It's been a long time since I've heard a song that was simply about being happy and going on. It's also been longer since I've heard a BNL song that wasn't The Big Bang Theory opening theme WHICH I KNOW OFF BY HEART. And this makes me a little sad. (Not the part where I know every single word of a fast spoken nerd type theme song, the other part with the long time between songs.)

The last few songs I've added to my iTunes have been as followed:
  • AC/DC's Greatest Hits
  • Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time soundtrack
  • Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess soundtrack
  • Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Special Orchestra CD
  • TLC - Waterfalls
  • Hall and Oates - You Make My Dreams
  • Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
  • Barenaked Ladies - Odds Are

Excluding the last one, all of the songs that aren't video game soundtracks are not from this decade. All the songs that are from this decade are video game soundtracks. Why is this? Because I'm sick of songs about love. It gets old after a while.

Not to say I don't love love songs. Love love love songs. They are uplifting and joyous and filled with . . . wrecking balls . . . and . . . burning fire . . .

Yeah okay so I get sick of people singing about love all the time. Just as much as I get sick of singers using "Baby" and "Oooooh" and "Girl" and every other atypical word that is super easy to rhyme. I want more songs about doing nothing! I want more songs about video games! I want more songs like BNL that makes you happy and doesn't mean you have to identify with the lyrics or the band. Is that too much to ask for? Show me a song about playing paint-ball with a flamboyant giraffe and maybe then I'll be impressed.

End Rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment